Game of Thrones discussion (Spoilers)

Gardiner 1st MRB

Oh hey, Sigur Ros was in that episode!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L4q6PyoW5JU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Their version of The Rains of Castamere is eerie, gives me chills every time.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w3QW8PVyyNM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This song is related to so many "shocking" episodes.

Very chilling compared to other versions of the Rains of Castamere I've heard, arguably closer to what Martin may have intended, as it isn't supposed to be a very cheery song by any means. The Three-Eyed Crow and rain of swords doesn't make the atmosphere any less dark either.

As for the odd appearance of someone else for Tommen, it very well could have been a stand-in. They had the same child actor for the past seasons as far as I know, but it wouldn't be the first time in the series when a temporary stand-in was necessary to get the scene shot (a la one of Jon Snow's scenes in season 3 I'm sure watchers probably remember). Even Child actors have schedules and appointments to keep.

so yeah, I was really starting to Like Jaime..but man, that scene was slightly disturbing lol

They've changed his storyline quite a bit from the books, which is somewhat concerning. In the book, Jaime was not present for Joffrey's death. He and Brienne were still traveling to King's Landing. When they arrived in King's Landing, Loras Tyrell (who joined the Kingsguard) wants to kill Brienne, as he believes she murdered Renly Baratheon. Jaime intervenes, and has Brienne arrested so she will not be killed. He then goes to the Sept (church) to see Cersei. There, it's a similar scene to the one from the show. She's mourning Joffrey, and they fuck in front of the corpse. But it was consensual, there was no rape. After that, their relationship is pretty much done. I seem to remember Jaime was rather uncomfortable with how the sex went down, and is rather dismayed by Cersei's accusations against Tyrion. It's odd in the show, I'm not sure I agree with the direction but with how heavily Martin's involved I still think they're moving along the way he intends it. It just messes up a lot of the situations I personally interpreted differently.

George Martin comments on Jaime Lannister's rape scene:

"I think the “butterfly effect” that I have spoken of so often was at work here. In the novels, Jaime is not present at Joffrey’s death, and indeed, Cersei has been fearful that he is dead himself, that she has lost both the son and the father/ lover/ brother. And then suddenly Jaime is there before her. Maimed and changed, but Jaime nonetheless. Though the time and place is wildly inappropriate and Cersei is fearful of discovery, she is as hungry for him as he is for her. The whole dynamic is different in the show, where Jaime has been back for weeks at the least, maybe longer, and he and Cersei have been in each other’s company on numerous occasions, often quarreling. The setting is the same, but neither character is in the same place as in the books, which may be why Dan & David played the sept out differently. But that’s just my surmise; we never discussed this scene, to the best of my recollection. Also, I was writing the scene from Jaime’s POV, so the reader is inside his head, hearing his thoughts. On the TV show, the camera is necessarily external. You don’t know what anyone is thinking or feeling, just what they are saying and doing. If the show had retained some of Cersei’s dialogue from the books, it might have left a somewhat different impression — but that dialogue was very much shaped by the circumstances of the books, delivered by a woman who is seeing her lover again for the first time after a long while apart during which she feared he was dead. I am not sure it would have worked with the new timeline. That’s really all I can say on this issue. The scene was always intended to be disturbing… but I do regret if it has disturbed people for the wrong reasons."

via Time

Edited by Kirkendall 1st MRB

so yeah, I was really starting to Like Jaime..but man, that scene was slightly disturbing lol

They've changed his storyline quite a bit from the books, which is somewhat concerning. In the book, Jaime was not present for Joffrey's death. He and Brienne were still traveling to King's Landing. When they arrived in King's Landing, Loras Tyrell (who joined the Kingsguard) wants to kill Brienne, as he believes she murdered Renly Baratheon. Jaime intervenes, and has Brienne arrested so she will not be killed. He then goes to the Sept (church) to see Cersei. There, it's a similar scene to the one from the show. She's mourning Joffrey, and they fuck in front of the corpse. But it was consensual, there was no rape. After that, their relationship is pretty much done. I seem to remember Jaime was rather uncomfortable with how the sex went down, and is rather dismayed by Cersei's accusations against Tyrion. It's odd in the show, I'm not sure I agree with the direction but with how heavily Martin's involved I still think they're moving along the way he intends it. It just messes up a lot of the situations I personally interpreted differently.

I can't believe how much press this scene has gotten as a disturbing scene considering what the show has already shown in past seasons, I guess people respond more to what looks like a rape than just sexual sadism which is surprising IMO. I haven't seen it myself yet, but it still sounds to me like it wasn't too far off from the book, even if the dialogue was not kept the same to make the scene appear more consensual. Even in the book, Cersei was quite reluctant to screw Jaime for several reasons, and as for Jaime's actions considering how much they've changed his events by the sounds of things, it could be he was more frustrated at the situation than anything and was taking it out on her (despite himself having played a substantial part in making the situation so fucked up). Maybe that's why they shot it the way they did? I personally don't believe the idea that HBO is supporting rape as a punishment for women like Cersei, or are turning consensual relations into rape just because they can, they aren't that ballsy. I think people just aren't thinking outside the box on Jaime well enough. I personally don't think he is any more saintly than he was at the start of the series.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, it will be probably be Jamie. Or maybe this forces Jamie to smuggle him out of the capitol? If not, maybe he picks his sell sword, and his father picks Jamie? I haven't read the books, so i'm excited for next week.