Being a Fan

Englebretson 1st MRB

It seems that in the past 4-5yrs being able to support your team publicly has become more and more dangerous around the United States. Tonight yet another violent incident following the Broncos Chargers game has occured Stabbing. I as a fan of many sports find myself ashamed when I read/hear about these kinds of things that go on after or during events.

When it comes to football (soccer) it is often groups of fans simply defending their hometown. Defending the actions of hooligans isn't going to be popular I know, but until you have been amongst it I defy anyone to tell me what I have done in the past is wrong.

Man the hate for the Yankees here is so nutty Kanganis! There are still a lot of people who openly support them though and from what Ive seen its more trash talking than crazy violence... for the most part anyways! I actually have seen rival fans have a good laugh about the whole thing at bars and stuff and its makes for good entertainment. I guess Im lucky to have never seen it go bad!

I think it sucks that people have to be scared to go certain places and support their favorite teams. :/

I can completely relate to being a fan when your team gets blown out. You cannot help but feel angry and it is so easy to take it out on some innocent person. i wouldnt doubt that these types of incidents play a factor in why people (at least in the US) choose not to go to games and sit at home and watch.

And yet I always get insults from Engle for being a jets fan...I'm a victim here too dammit!

I've seen stuff like this happen. Especially outside SF and raider stadiums where they play eachother. You'd see just endless brawls of raider and SF fans just beating the crap out of eachother. Its saddening.

I'll be sure to be aware of my surroundings when I go watch the jets play the kings down in LA in March.

It's definitely not 100 times worse in Europe. First of all, that's a massive generalization, and second of all, the image tons of people on this side of the Atlantic have of hooliganism is outdated. A lot of people think it's STILL as bad as it was in the 80s, which was the true height of hooligan violence, and firm violence.

Where it IS 100 times worse is in Brazil and Argentina, where people have died at multiple games in the past year.

I've almost gotten into a couple fights at sporting events. Most of them were because the other person had been drinking though. I support my teams no matter where I am, including in Fenway Park. Had a guy walk up the stairs towards me to fight because I was chanting go Lakers during the NBA finals years ago. Some people just get crazy. I take sports way to serious but not to the point where ill actually get into a physical confrontation. Also why I don't drink at sports events

• 3 weeks later...