2014 Olympic Hockey

Englebretson 1st MRB

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being in Paris, France four years ago when the gold medal game was being played between Canada and the United States. Because of the time difference, we unfortunately missed most of the game due to our outings. I remember sprinting with some friends from the subway station back to our hotel lobby to watch the overtime period where Sidney Crosby scored that wonderful goal beating the United States.

To my fellow Canadians, let's kick some ass all over again.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone else think that letting Professionals play in the Olympic's has ruined it?

How has it ruined it? The Olympics are about the best athletes in the world competing for gold. Professional hockey players are the best in the world and they want to represent their country just like every other Olympian. Not letting the best players play is not a true representation of what a country has to offer. In 1998, the NHL and IOC came to an agreement to allow professional hockey players to compete in the Olympics for their countries. Before that, the USSR dominated the Olympics because they were not technically professional players, they were part of the Red Army and were therefore being paid for their service to their country rather than being paid to play hockey. This arrangement allowed them to play together all the time, build team chemistry, and not worry about anything else except hockey. I don't know about you but I don't like that type of circumvention to the rules which leads to years of unfair advantages. Allowing every country to be represented by the best players they have to offer is what the Olympics are all about, and for that there's nothing else I'd rather watch.

I agree with the Lt. Col. I think in a sport like hockey which is pretty universal around the world that professionals in the Olympics is certainly justified. Many of the players that are playing for their national team are in the NHL anyway and it should not affect the talent level. Drawing a parallel with a sport like basketball in the Summer Olympics, I remember when the professionals were first allowed and people like Jordan and Pippen were going against basically amateur players from around the world, they pretty much routed every team they played. It raises the question, should the sport determine what athletes should be allowed? Its a good topic for discussion and debate.