2014 Olympic Hockey

Englebretson 1st MRB

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why it could be perceived as an issue, but I can't honestly say that I think it will change the course of the game. The biggest and most important game needs to be officiated by the most talented and experienced referees. Is it a surprise that those refs would also come from the worlds most passionate hockey nation?

If there was any foul play it would ruin the refs careers and cast doubt on the outcome of the game. These guys are professionals.

It is legit. If it is something i hate in sports its this kind of thing. I agree with everything Forsberg is saying, why Canadian referees when there are plently of other ref's to choose from. I dont care if they are good referees i dont care if they are highly respected. I want a good and equal match with independent referees. And also of course Canadians and other people wont see it as an issue. I do however. And also if these refs will be judging the match tomorrow and Canada wins i will be so damn pissed.

It is legit. If it is something i hate in sports its this kind of thing. I agree with everything Forsberg is saying, why Canadian referees when there are plently of other ref's to choose from. I dont care if they are good referees i dont care if they are highly respected. I want a good and equal match with independent referees. And also of course Canadians and other people wont see it as an issue. I do however. And also if these refs will be judging the match tomorrow and Canada wins i will be so damn pissed.

So you would rather have other refs who are not as highly accredited? It is not easy to ref a hockey game, and I think it benefits the game to have more talented officiating, especially at such a high level.

I recognize that my view may be biased, but as someone who has seen these officials ref hundreds of games I don't expect any issues.

So you would rather have other refs who are not as highly accredited? It is not easy to ref a hockey game, and I think it benefits the game to have more talented officiating, especially at such a high level.

I recognize that my view may be biased, but as someone who has seen these officials ref hundreds of games I don't expect any issues.

Yes, i would rather have people who have no affilation with said country. Because even if the refs are so highly respected they might still judge in favor of their hometeam. It is basically the same as Two NHL teams. Lets take Washington against Detroit and a guy from detroit judges the game. Its basically the same just on a much larger scale. What makes you think that this Canadian ref wont rule in favor for team Canada? That their reputation is at risk? I still say that an independent ref from maybe USA would be much better.

"Veteran Swedish defenceman Niklas Kronwall of the Detroit Red Wings believes that both teams can benefit from North American officials.

"We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL," said Kronwall. "We know their standards so I think it's easier for us too if the referees are from there."

Former Norris Trophy winner and Ottawa Senators standout Erik Karlsson agreed with his fellow blueliner.

"I think most referees over there [in the National Hockey League] are Canadian, too," said Karlsson. "They probably support Montreal or Toronto, but they don't make any difference there. I couldn't care less about what the referees do. As you saw yesterday, we had two power plays, Finland had a lot, and we still won the game. It's nothing we can control and neither can Canada."

I'm on the fence about this drifting back n forth. Yes it may happen, but then again it may not.

Yes there is a chance for a bias being present and impacting a game, especially if the referees are from the same country as the playing teams...BUT its just a big assumption and accusation to think that just cause Canada wins tomorrow its because the ref's were on their side. There is no defining evidence that proves that this will happen or has happened and will continue to happen.

Is it possible in any game played? Yes. Does it happen? I'm sure it does to an extent in some places. Will it happen tomorrow? Not a clue.

Nothing is going to make the situation perfect for anyone no matter who refs it, but having more experienced ref's to handle it will probably be the best course of action no matter what country they are from. Its ultimately going to come down to a matter of opinion in regards to who wins and who doesn't. Honestly I don't think there are going to be any issues tomorrow. Yes the article does bring up a point, but still.

Edited by Mamora BAR